Adversity Continues

Wired coyote has returned

After brutally driving off our 3-year resident coyote and hanging around the area for about two months, the Wired intruder headed off to an area several miles away where I serendipitously encountered her a number of times. She appears to be roaming the entirety of San Francisco, from corner to corner. I wondered if she had permanently moved on. I wondered what her plans were. But she was gone less than a week and is now back patrolling the turf she battled for and won.

Ragged: tattered and torn in body, but not in spirit

During those two months, our previous resident coyote had been staying away and hanging low as she recovered from her severe wounds and infections. Then, during the last week she, of course, became acutely aware of her rival’s absence and was making daily forays to her old turf, bravely sticking her toe in the door — so to speak — moving to reclaim her domain. We of course no longer ever saw her romping joyously at the top of hilltops, Queen of her domain and ever so happy, but rather slithering by quickly and surreptitiously through inconspicuous places. Her tentative forays were not being met with resistance from her arch-rival and things appeared to be going well for her. That was during the week the Wired coyote was away. But now that she’s back, we’ll have to wait and see what kind of a truce, if any, is worked out between them. Let’s hope there’s not another fight.

It’s been an amazing drama, and a scary one, if you care. One has to wonder at the stress and tension being sustained by this brave little creature willing to risk her life to defend her turf. Coyotes are known to kill each other over their territories: it goes to show just how important their exclusive land-claims are for their survival. Again, I want to point out how intense coyote lives are, with ups and downs to match anything going on in the human world.

See: Detrimental Effects of Radio-collars

1. Toni
    Apr 02, 2019 @ 16:31:43

Letting nature “take its course” is a fine hypothetical attitude, appropriate to us scientist, noble, nuanced, etc. but this moves me to tears. The resident coyote was –is– very precious to me. I feel connected to her. and will continue to root for her to prevail.

• yipps:janetkessler
      Apr 02, 2019 @ 18:38:25

Hi Toni — It’s absolutely heartbreaking. I don’t know anyone who is not rooting for her and her comeback. It may happen yet: coyotes are patient, resourceful and resilient. She has not given up hope, so we should not either.

2. sfmmpwild
    Apr 02, 2019 @ 19:45:25

Thanks for all your information, knowledge and care.
    This has been very sad for me, I have seen her for so long there, being alone and still happy, suddenly, she finds a nice young male coyote that started to be with her, but to defend her territory, she had to fight with another female coyote who is wired with a radio collar on her, so the fight was completely uneven. I understand nature and respect how it works, there’s not much that we can do, but in this case, makes me really mad and worry, to see that there is a coyote that is normal and another one that has a metalic radio at the place where they are more sensitive, and that will protect her in any fight that she gets into with the coyote that was living there and loved by us for 3 years.
    I really hope that something happens that drives this new female coyote away.

3. environmentalhealthpolicy
    Apr 02, 2019 @ 22:33:02

Thank you for the update on our beloved coyote. It’s great to see that she seems to have recovered from the worst of her wounds, so I’m hopeful for her future. I’m inspired by her resilience and her determination. What a wonderful animal! I don’t wish the newcomer female I’ll, since she is just trying to survive and find a home in this tough city. Please do keep us posted on developments, since we wait eagerly for news!

• yipps:janetkessler
      Apr 02, 2019 @ 23:42:10

I agree that no ill-will should be heaved on our new female: she, too, is simply trying to stay alive, and it is through no fault of her own that she was nabbed and radio-collared. Hopefully we can work on preventing the kind of human interference which gave her an advantage: that human intervention with unexpected consequences is what needs to be examined.

4. MelindaH.
    Apr 03, 2019 @ 00:15:11

I am so pleased that she at least physically recovered from her ordeal. For a while, I was quite worried. Their lives are indeed full of stress and tension—as well as happiness and lightheartedness. Your window into their world is something that has further hooked me on coyotes—such wonderful beings to fall in love with.

• yipps:janetkessler
      Apr 03, 2019 @ 05:14:41

Yes, their lives encompass the gamut of all emotions and states. I’m so glad to have helped you fall in love with them. They are definitely worthy of our love and admiration. Thanks, Melinda!

5. Hilary Cole
    Apr 03, 2019 @ 06:24:30

Hi Janet.. love to read all about the ongoing lives of your Coyotes..hopefully, as you say, no more fights… they are truly wonderful animals. I love them so much… really enjoy reading all your posts ….

Hilary 🌟🥰

6. Cindie White
    Apr 04, 2019 @ 06:35:46

Thank you for keeping me deeply connected to Coyote. My heart….

7. Deb McDonald
    Apr 06, 2019 @ 02:14:44

Thank you Janet for all that you do. It is such a great service to the community. Can you please help me understand why being “wired” gives a coyote an advantage in a fight? I can’t seem to work out why that would be the case. Thank you.

8. Deb McDonald
    Apr 06, 2019 @ 02:23:38

Also, what about the male? Have there been any sightings of him lately?

9. Jeannie Warner
    Apr 06, 2019 @ 17:35:34

Has anyone seen her mate?.Sad if he left for good.

• yipps:janetkessler
      Apr 06, 2019 @ 17:59:02

Hi Jeannie — If he had been her mate, he would still be by her side. I think she was hoping for that, but he wasn’t on the same page. He traveled often and far during the time he knew her and had not really settled down. The two of them as a “pair” could have warded off the newcomer. Instead, the male, who was after all a youngster, fled. I have not heard of any sightings of him anywhere since a couple of days after the territorial battle.

• Mark and Jeannie
      Apr 06, 2019 @ 19:29:41

Thank you Janet.Sad that she does not have him around. Seemed she really enjoyed it.She had been a loner for a long time.Quite attached to that girl.

• yipps:janetkessler
      Apr 06, 2019 @ 22:56:25

Yes, the breaking up of the “pair” was the biggest part of the tragedy. Let’s see what happens: coyotes are extremely resilient.

10. Trackback: Bay Nature Magazine: San Francisco Coyotes When People Aren't Around