Playtime and Fun For a Coyote Mated Pair

At the crack of dawn (with no light, I’m surprised these photos are even readable), this mated coyote pair, which has been together for a year now,  broke out into into a giggle-wiggle play session: they chased each other, lept over and onto each other, sparred playfully, and smiled a lot. They knew how to enjoy themselves thoroughly in and in-between-the-raindrops that fell that day. This is an almost 4-year old male and an almost 3 year old female who really like each other. They may be incorporating this intense play into their current courting behavior, but truth-be-told, they’ve been playing like this for the entire year-and-a-half they’ve been together! Coyotes know how to have fun! This video along with these photos were taken a month ago, at the beginning of January.

1. Lisa Febre
    Feb 10, 2021 @ 00:19:39

Omg! I think this is my favorite post EVER! I’m just giggling with joy over this!

2. MelindaH
    Feb 10, 2021 @ 01:37:53

OMG—-they are hilarious!! Found myself laughing and giggling while I watched. The video made my week!

3. Jo Thompson
    Feb 10, 2021 @ 13:18:14

May we each/all have such happiness in our lives.

• yipps:janetkessler
      Feb 10, 2021 @ 20:51:20

That’s a wonderful thought! Everyone needs a large dose of it now and then. But I don’t think this carefree happiness ever lasts forever. Reality includes the downs in addition to the ups. These two coyotes hadn’t been this way before they settled on their vast territory: they have something to celebrate at this point in their lives. Maybe that’s why they’re happy: they seem to be in their element. I watched another insanely happy coyote pulled down to the pits and spend six months of her life fleeing an angry pursuer. The relentless attacker eventually gave up. The pursued coyote never regained her previous happy-go-lucky playfulness. Then she became a mom in the urban landscape of cars, dogs, and people — these are all hazardous entities. Watching out for the safety of one’s family is a full-time occupation. She’s busy — and I would say therefore happy — but no longer overflows with play the way she had. But she owned that state of mind for many years. :))

4. Alice Chan
    Feb 11, 2021 @ 00:29:47

This post was SO much fun!!

5. Hannah
    Feb 12, 2021 @ 03:20:04

What are the tags (?) on the collared one’s ears? More tracking devices?

• yipps:janetkessler
      Feb 12, 2021 @ 03:34:24

Hi Hannah — Unfortunately, yes. I’ve written extensively about the detrimental effects of radio-collars and tagging on this blog and in my Instagram account: https://coyoteyipps.com/2019/03/08/detrimental-effects-of-radio-collars/. Note that one of her ears has been compromised because of an infection — and when those in charge were told about it, they informed me they could do nothing about it. Anyway, if you are interested, read the blog post and the links therein to the Instagram postings and comments. Janet

• Hannah
      Feb 12, 2021 @ 19:51:39

What would you suggest as an alternative to collars and ear tags in order to track animals for research purposes?

• yipps:janetkessler
      Feb 12, 2021 @ 19:57:54

Hi Hannah — What kind of research are you talking about? Please read my blog: it’s chalk full of any information you might want to find out about coyotes, including family life, vocalizations, dispersals, breeding, interactions with pets and people. You name it, it’s probably there. I did not use collars or tags. :)) Right now I’m engaged in a population study of San Francisco coyotes: I’ve used simple observation to define about two dozen families and some of their dispersals and re-formation of new families. Hard-data to confirm this is coming from DNA extracted from scat. Janet

6. Dean Neniska
    Feb 12, 2021 @ 09:40:27

Why the collar? Who put that on one?

• yipps:janetkessler
      Feb 12, 2021 @ 19:52:46

Hi Dean — You might want to see my reply to Hannah in the comment above. The City of San Francisco doesn’t use these devices, but the Presidio, which is federally run, does: it’s the 2.4 square mile park in the northwest of the city. The results they’ve obtained are a map of the criscrossings the coyotes engage in — as if we didn’t know this to begin with. The gadgets have not increased knowledge of the coyotes nor improved their management. Management can only be accomplished through educating the public to keep away from them — it’s so easy to do: if you see a coyote, leash up and walk the other way.

I am vehemently against collaring and tagging: it is invasive and interfering and doesn’t help the coyotes — it simply pings location now and then to a scientist. Tagging can result in infections, as you see in the ear of the collared coyote in my video.

I believe the Presidio applied these gadgets to make the public think they were doing SOMETHING about the coyotes — it was in answer to fear some people were expressing. But in the end, it’s the education that was needed and STILL is needed. Other people believe that collaring/tagging helps the coyotes. They believe that if it’s in the name of science, it must be good. But science is not the same as animal welfare: as we know, many animals have been sacrificed to science — the information scientists want is more important to them than the animals.

Anyway, I won’t go on and on, but please do take a look at what I wrote Hannah and the link I included in that comment. Thank you for being concerned about it. You should be. Feel free to voice your concern to the Presidio Trust of San Francisco.